Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Visit to the Lab


Paperwork for the lab





Driving to the hospital

Today was the start of my labs process, the first steps in testing for kidney donation.  I printed out the forms that Vonnie from the University of Colorado Hospital had emailed me and drove over to the Fort Atkinson hospital to pick up my lab supplies. 


The first couple of tests in the kidney donation process include:

  • 24 hour Urine for Creatinine Clearance and Protein (this includes a serum Creatinine for calculation)
  • Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (Fasting Glucose and 2 hour glucose)
  • Height
  • Weight
  • Blood Pressure
Fort Atkinson hospital




Entering the lab
I was picking up my "pee" jug today... a big jug that I would collect my urine in for 24 hours.  The contents of the jug will be analyzed in a Creatinine Clearance and Protein test.

The creatinine clearance test compares the level of creatinine in urine with the creatinine level in the blood. (Creatinine is a breakdown product of creatine, which is an important part of muscle.) The test helps provide information on kidney function.

Pee jug

My supplies



Got pee?

So this is what I am working with.... I will spare you photos of the collection process!  Anyway, this lab will be done this week and then next week I will be doing the glucose test.  Reallllllyy looking forward to that one!  If any of you have ever had a baby you have had to drink that nasty bottle of glucose gunk.  That is what I get to do for this test too.  I will certainly need lots of crossed fingers and prayers for that one!  More info soon!

Love and hope....

~LL





No comments:

Post a Comment